Wednesday, October 8, 2014

I believe... by Austin Loveless

I Believe in hard work :Austin Loveless      
I believe that working hard is one of the best things I can do in life. It makes me feel more accomplished when I get a task done because I know that I did it to the best of my ability. I know that when I work hard now it’ll pay off later.
When I am at work I think that the time that i’m there will never change the only thing that I can change is what I get done and how well I do it. If I work as hard as I possibly can every single day, it will pay off. With either promotions, raises, or a good reference to my new employer. Any one of those three things make working more worth it than just the pay that I am receiving at the time.
I learned this at a fairly young age when I was detasseling. When I was 12 it was my first real job. If you haven’t detasseled, you wouldn’t understand how tough of work it is. You literally walk all day long through corn fields in the heat wearing long sleeves, and pants, all while getting paid minimum wage. My crew was different we didn’t get paid minimum wage though we got paid by the row. Which might sound weird but you can make a lot more money if you work hard. If you don’t work hard you got fired. I started my first year of detasseling with 83 people on my crew and we finished with 28 people. I was the only first year person that finished. I loved it, I almost made two thousand dollars and I was 12 years old. What does a 12 year old kid do with that much money you may ask? Well they buy a new bike, a trampoline, and a pool.
I continued detasseling until I was 16, then I was able to apply for a job because I could drive. Filling out the application, I knew exactly what I was going to put in the reference blank. The next day my new job called me back and said I was hired and they also said that my detasseling boss was sad to lose such a hard worker.
It is kind of Ironic that I learned such a valuable life skill from my very first job. Looking back on detasseling now I realize I earned a lot more than money, I also learned how to keep a job and to work my hardest. It has continued to pay off in everyday life making work easier and making my employers love me.



Authors note:
This is about me learning good work ethics at a young age. I’m very proud of the life skills that my first job taught me. I believe in hard work because it will pay off.


No comments:

Post a Comment