Wednesday, October 8, 2014

I believe....Emily Knouse

I believe in earning things for myself. Since I was eight years old my dad had me earn everything. I mean obviously he paid for food and necessities but anything beyond that I had to work for. He had me do chores such as cleaning the cat boxes, keeping my room clean, and cleaning the bathrooms. Each year I got older he gave me one extra dollar but also one extra chore. Soon enough, I was mowing the front and back yard.  There were times that I would even beg him in the middle of a store for something I was dying to have and he would tell me what chores I’d have to do to get it. It’s funny because later on that day I realized I didn’t even want it anymore. This showed me I should just save up for something I wanted longer than a day.
Later on these work ethics became an even bigger part of my life. As I got older, I started going out with my friends which took more money than I ever thought it would.  I started going out to movies and buying food while I was out as well. I found myself broke all the time, making me the person who had to stay at home instead. Soon after I turned 16, I got my first job at a nursing home as a dietary aide in Indiana. I was working at least five days a week, working seven hour shifts each day. This was tough for me to adjust to, but as soon as I started getting the paychecks it was more than worth it. I could do whatever I wanted with the days I had off and it was a great feeling. I believe earning what I have makes everything I earn more valuable.
Summer ended and I’m back with my mom now in Nebraska. Here it get’s even harder because my mom doesn’t offer the chore money like my dad had done. Now I’m struggling even more. This drove me to the decision that I needed to start applying for jobs here in Waverly. I applied at the Waverly Care Center, which is right across the street from my house. I am making the same money as I had with the last job with the exception of having less hours with school starting up.  I am now feeling more comfortable with what I have, but I am also being more careful with what I’m purchasing. I only will buy things on sale, unless I am actually needing them. I even keep money to the side just for food during the week. I eventually ended up buying my own phone last year which was another big thing for me.  Earning things for myself made me strive to take better care of these items and value them more. I believe putting work into something makes it more worth it in the end.

Authors note: I learned at a very young age to earn what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment